Thursday, July 11, 2013

Module 7

While trying to think back to my science lessons in elementary/middle school, nothing really stands out. All I remember are the week-long field trips we took in 7th and 8th grade to a camp near the school. We would learn archery, go on nature hikes, and dissect owl pellets. I don't remember any other science lessons. When I think about my classes in high school, I think some of my teachers used some form of backwards design approach. My Chemistry teacher would tell us what we were expected to know at the beginning of each unit, and we would work with partners to complete experiments mixing chemicals. Our assessments weren't just quizzes or tests, but rather we were assessed based on our activities. My Physics and Biology teachers did not use the backwards design approach. I remember taking notes on lectures and reading the textbook. We took quizzes and tests based on the information given in the lectures and over what we read. We were asked to memorize facts and formulas. I remember not paying much attention during class because I didn't understand the concept and I wasn't learning anything.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you went to a really fun school. You really got involved in your education. The part about memorizing facts sounds monotonous! This is not the way we should be teaching. With all the data we have on education, we now know there are much more efficient ways of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, like you remember very little of science during my school years. It makes me laugh to read about your owl pellet dissections because I was in high school not that long ago, and that is all we did in high school science. No instruction before, they just threw us into it and let us dissect. I hope we can be better teachers than this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like your schools did a great job teaching science using their resources because I never went or was offered to go on a week field trip. Allowing students to do hands-on real life experiences are always the most memorable and they usually learn a whole lot from it. The Physics and Biology teachers you had are a prime example of why it is important to use the Backward Design planning method.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,
    Your science education seemed really interesting. Week long field studies must have been so rewarding. My school was like your Biology teacher with lots of notes and quizzes. Having hands on experiences as a students must have framed your teaching style as well.

    ReplyDelete