Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Module 4 Blog


  1. Reflect upon your beliefs about using constructivist techniques in the elementary science classroom and how you might allow students to construct knowledge in your science class
  2. Choose one science standard for your grade level and list ideas you could use as you are teaching that standard for each of the 7Es (a bulleted list is sufficient – details are not essential at this point).  See example below. (Shapters 5-9 in the Gregory and Hammerman text might be helpful here.)


Constructivism is something I've learned a bit about previously, but I really enjoyed reading about it in this module. Activating prior knowledge and connecting new knowledge to it was required while write the long format lesson plans in undergraduate classes. It's something I've tried to do often while teaching, and I've found it gets the students excited to learn about the next lesson. I would also try to make real life connections to concepts to help students understand them.

Constructivist techniques in the classroom involve inquiry-based learning. If students structure their own learning, they will gain more out of it than just being fed information by the teacher. Students will be more engaged in things that interest them. I've tried to involve students' interests in my teaching, but sometimes it's not feasible. I also know I need to work on including more reflection time during class. Having students discuss concepts with each other allows them to learn from their peers and work on communication. I could have students have short discussions with each other before and after class to discuss prior knowledge and how it relates to the content learned.

When I taught second grade science, I did many of the experiments for the students or told them exactly what to do to conduct it. This doesn't allow them to learn on their own. In the future I would like to give them the chance to figure it out on their own. This would be more beneficial. I would also like the students to be able to choose their own projects and research to search for things they like.

S3E1. Students will investigate the physical attributes of rocks and soils.


a. Explain the difference between a rock and a mineral.
b. Recognize the physical attributes of rocks and minerals using observation (shape, color, texture), measurement, and simple tests (hardness).
c. Use observation to compare the similarities and differences of texture, particle size, and color in top soils (such as clay, loam or potting soil, and sand).
d. Determine how water and wind can change rocks and soil over time using observation and research..
 
 
Excite-
     - bring in rocks and minerals to observe
     - bring in various soils to observe
Explore-
     - watch rock formation videos
     - look for rocks and minerals outside
     - watch erosion videos
Explain-
     - create drawings of rock formations
     - create stories and illustrations of erosion
     - create graphs of rock characteristics
Expand-
     - create powerpoint to show how rocks are formed
     - research other information about rocks and soil
Extend-
     - explore other examples of rocks and where they are found in the world
     - start a class collection of rocks and minerals found where each child lives
Exchange-
     - class journal to share reflections and learning
     - students create video interviews to show off a project
Examine-
     - books, powerpoints, models, projects
     - compare and contrast rocks and soils in different areas
     - create a new type of rock

5 comments:

  1. I teach first grade, and I usually tell my students how to conduct experiments, but I think it would be interesting to see how students would figure out experiments on their own. I also think it would be interesting to see students conduct their own research and projects. When I was in school, we conducted science fair projects every year of elementary school. In my school, science fair seems to be geared toward the upper grades, but I wonder why there is not a push in the lower grades? We did one as a class before, but I think it would be interesting, if they conducted their own experiments? What do you think about this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen science fair projects geared more towards the upper grades, but I think the lower grades would be able to complete them as well. Unfortunately, many of the projects I've seen have been mostly done by the parents. I would really like to see projects that the students actually thought of and conducted because they do have some great ideas! I think allowing students to conduct their own experiments in class, with teacher guidance, would be a great way to allow students to explore and work on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,
    Just saw where you graduated from VSU... My husband and I just moved to Valdosta from Atlanta.
    Anyways, back to your blog :) I agree with you about Constructivism, I think it is the best way for students to learn and remember things they're taught. I also relate to you when you mention that you first tried to do everything for the kids. I think so much of this is learned from when we were growing up, everything was done for us. That was hard for me to "unlearn" also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,
    You summarize Constructivism perfectly. As I read you blog, I see how this course is all coming together. In order for me to be a more effective science teacher, I am going to have to put the student's ability to construct new knowledge at the center of the lessons. Inquiry is the key. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Semeka, you did a great job of summarizing this module on constructivism. It was interesting reading about your views and seeing how much I feel the same as you about this topic. Students need to make a real life connection to understand the topic or even learn through the process for it becomes more real to them. Your lesson was very interactive and enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete