Friday, June 14, 2013

Science Lesson

It's been a while since I taught science (I taught 5th grade LA last year and was a substitute this year), but I have done this lesson multiple times.

The lesson is for a 3rd grade class and is about the three types of rocks: igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary.


Hook: Show the types of rocks mini video

Lesson:
Igneous rock forms when melted rock from deep below Earth’s surface cools and hardens. As the rock cools, minerals form crystals. These crystals produce the grains in the rock. Some igneous rocks form when volcanoes erupt. The rock cools very quickly causing very small crystals or none at all.

            Melt chocolate and pour onto wax paper. This is how igneous rocks form, the rock is the chocolate that is hot, as it cools, it becomes a rock.

            Sedimentary rock forms when sand, particles of rock, bits of soil, and remains of once-living things are pressed together and harden. The materials are called sediment. Layers of sediment are deposited on top of one another. Over time, these layers harden and become rock.

            Put icing between two graham crackers. Push together. This is an example of a sedimentary rock.
 
            Metamorphic rock forms when existing rocks are changed by extreme heat and pressure. Crystals and minerals in existing rocks change and grains flatten forming new rocks.

            Unwrap 3 Starburst. Stack candy together and apply heat and pressure with hands to allow flavors to mold together.

            All of these rocks forming are part of the rock cycle-a continuous series of changes that rocks undergo.

Check for understanding before going on.  

            How do sedimentary rocks form?

            How do igneous rocks form?

            How do metamorphic rocks form?

            Compare the ways in which sedimentary rock and metamorphic rock form.

Break students into groups

Group 1: Brain Pop video: Types of Rocks. Watch the video and take the quiz

Group 2: Draw diagrams to show how each rock is formed

Group 3: Students will create a 3 column chart with the headings: Igneous, Sedimentary, and Metamorphic. They will use their science book or other books to place words and phrases under each heading.

Bring whole group together to take post-assessment.

I chose to use food in my lesson because I would be able to visually show the students how each rock forms, and it also keeps the interested because it's a fun addition! This lesson goes along with the standards in a unit about rocks and fossils. I assess my students by looking over their products from each of the group activities and also from the post-assessment, which includes various questions about the types of rocks and how they are formed. It gives me an idea to see where they are and if I need to review anything in the future.


Technology in the classroom:
Technology is a great addition to the classroom because it adds an element that will keep students engaged and focused and allows them to create and design things that aren't possible just on paper. I'm not sure that I am completely comfortable with using technology in the classroom as it wasn't available during my teaching, but I think once I integrated a little bit at a time I would become more comfortable.

When I taught this lesson, I only used BrainPop, but after learning about all the new resources available and what I could have students create themselves, I would love to enhance this lesson using more technology.

2 comments:

  1. I love your lesson for the students. This is I'm sure a very engaging lesson for students and memorable. I can see it now on a test or something students pretending to make the different rock types in their head to decipher which one is which. I like how you ended with the brain pop as a review rather than showing them the different types before starting the experiment. This is a good way of helping students reflect on what they have just learned.I think a way you could enhance the technology in this lesson for you students would be for them to use a type of technology for their reflection activity. Whether it be concept mapping, powerpoint, voki, or glogster on the different types of rocks. Just another fun way of incorporating your reflection time. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lessons on geology for some reason. I love the idea of the experiment with a starburst, I will have to use that one! I think the key with any science lesson is making it a meaningful experience, and I believe this was one! Meaningful experiences would have helped me a lot in college geology :)

    ReplyDelete