Sunday, June 30, 2013

Module 5



S2L1. Students will investigate the life cycles of different living organisms.
 
c. Investigate the life cycle of a plant by growing a plant from a seed and by recording changes over a period of time.
 

Problem:
I am a seed that Farmer Brown bought at the farm store and wants to plant me so I can grow! The problem is, I'm not sure what I am going to grow into, and I'm scared about what happens from here! All I can tell you is I live in Georgia. Can you help? Pick a plant (something that would be planted by a farmer and grown in Georgia) and research the life cycle of that plant. Be sure and let me know everything that I'll need to grow big and strong!

Authentic Assessment:
Students will choose a Georgia plant and will research using Internet resources, books, the encyclopedia, etc. the life cycle of that plant and what the plant will need to survive. Using this information, they will create a movie, Prezi, Glogster, or other appropriate device showcasing the different stages of the plant in a way that is visually appealing to the audience. The students will share this presentation with the class.

Rubric:
 


4
3
2
1
Research
Resources were used responsibly and independently
Resources were used responsibly but required assistance
Resources were used with some responsibility but more assistance was required
Resources were used irresponsibly and constant supervision was required
Creativity and Visuals
Eye-catching, organized, and appealing colors and graphics
Organized with a basic colors and graphics
Somewhat organized with  few colors and graphics
Lack of organizational structure and colors and graphics
Quality
Information is clear with many supporting details
Information is clear with few supporting details
Information is clear with little or no supporting details or details don't match
Information is unclear and little or no supporting details or details don't match
Mechanics
No errors in spelling, punctuation or grammar
One or two  errors in spelling, punctuation, and/or other 
grammar
Three or four errors in spelling, punctuation, and/or grammar
More than four errors in spelling, punctuation, and/or grammar
 

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, your problem was really engaging. I felt like I was in your classroom listening to you prep your students. The assessment was very well throughout and you provided several ways for the students to present their life cycle. Students will respond positively by having the choice of picking a tool they enjoy while being able to present to the rest of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked reading about your lesson and problem, because students do not always see the process of how plants grow and the cycle they go through. It is important for students to see this first hand for it is such an interesting process. You have a well thought out lesson and it sounds engaging!

    ReplyDelete