Commodities for the Classroom: Apparatus for Science and Education in Antebellum America
Deborah Jean Warner
Synopsis: This article is about the early 19th century the beginning of using various materials in science education. At first, only the very privileged were taught science because many viewed science as something that ordinary citizens would use or understand. As science become more popular, it was added to the curriculum in colleges. Scientists were often hired as educators, even teaching subjects that they didn't know much about. As science education grew, the need arose for visual models to help students. Educational apparatus was introduced. Globes, maps, blackboards, and the like became popular in schools. Certain colleges even built whole science labs. People started to realize that professional teachers needed to use these materials and know how to use them effectively.
Reflection: After reading this article it made me realize that science education has come a long way since the 1800s. Science is all around us and in order to better understand it we need to study it. I think it's really interesting that even back then educators were thinking of ways to better help their students understand and that's how the visual aids came into play. They were using maps and globes and science materials and now we are trying to implement technology into the classroom.
Article can be found here: http://ehis.ebscohost.com.proxy.kennesaw.edu/eds/detail?vid=3&sid=2f10c284-3258-4930-87f7-ce9586fb2c9a%40sessionmgr15&hid=5&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWRzLWxpdmUmc2NvcGU9c2l0ZQ%3d%3d#db=a9h&AN=6130752
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you, that it is very apparent from your article and those that we read throughout the module that Science education has come a long way. I never knew or never actually thought about the fact that Science curriculum/content has not always been about the same. However, once I really got into this module and started thinking about when I was in elementary school and the things I learned about. It was nothing like what the students learn now; now the students are learning much more advanced and in-depth topics.
I agree with both of you. I think that there is so much we as educators and students can learn from science education. I know there are some teachers who only want to teach from the book with worksheets, but as we know, that way of teaching is very much in the past. Books and worksheets alone does not benefit our students in any way at all. I feel the way we teach our students today fuels curiosity and provides children with valuable ideas, skills, and potential future career choices. It also helps them with critcal thinking skills, which a lot of students (and adults) lack. I love the new strategies and technological improvements in science! I wonder what the future brings.
ReplyDelete