America's Children: Providing Early Exposure to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Initiatives
Nancy K. DeJarnette, Ed.D
This article discussed why it was important to start STEM education at an early age. The American and global economy has changed over the past decade which has prompted a change in American schools to initiate more STEM practices. The middle and high school curricula has changed, but not much has been done in the elementary schools. Compared with other developed countries, America is lacking in science and math abilities, which is why STEM interest needs to be activated early in elementary schools. The Partnership for 21st Century Skills is geared to help students acquire the skills they need, such as reading, writing, math, problem solving, creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, and communication) (DeJarnette, 78).
In order for students to be ready for engineering programs in higher education, the need to be instructed in math and science effectively early on in their schooling. Many teachers are unprepared for this because they lack the confidence or knowledge to teach project-based learning in science. If our students become interested early on STEM topics, they are more likely to take higher level courses in high school which could lead them to enter these programs in college.
I was interested in this article because I was one of those students who was relatively good at math and science, but it never really interested me. Having to memorize facts and formulas and the periodic table wasn't fun for me and put me off to those subjects. Allowing our students to fully immense themselves in STEM topics by learning in a project or activity based way may have kept me more interested. If we keep our students engaged early on, they will have an easier time with these concepts in later education and may help fill the gap in our economy with professions in those areas. As I read more about STEM, I am getting really excited about the possibility of being able to use it in my own classroom.
Article can be found here: http://ehis.ebscohost.com.proxy.kennesaw.edu/eds/detail?vid=4&sid=49948eac-cf7a-4bc9-9a6c-f91b915ed661%40sessionmgr104&hid=3&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWRzLWxpdmUmc2NvcGU9c2l0ZQ%3d%3d#db=slh&AN=79776864
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteSTEM articles are very popular. I agree with the article about use STEM curruiculum in early students. However, I wonder how much it can be done when we are trying to teach reading and math. As I was reading your reflection, I wanted to know if you think that we are prepared as Elementary teachers to teach more intense content?